Diagnostic Technician/ Assistant Shop Foreman
Reports To: Service Manager
Assists technicians to ensure that customers’ needs are met, and vehicles are fixed right the first time. Responsible along with the Shop Forman for day-to-day activities of the Service Department including coaching and training Technicians, planning and managing inventory, supplies, and equipment, providing technical information and customer service.
DUTIES AND RESP®ONSIBILITIES
- Performs advanced diagnostics for engine performance and chassis systems.
- Establishes processes and standards to ensure customer satisfaction and efficient and effective service operations.
- Monitors the workflow of employees and intervenes as needed to ensure work is accomplished.
- Maintains special tools inventory and tool room.
- Provides diagnostic support help with the technician as necessary.
- Works as a liaison between Mercedes engineering and our company.
- Coordinates with Parts Department, Sales Department, Body Shop, General Manager, Brand Representatives, sublet vendors, and others to ensure effectiveness of the service process.
- Flags repair orders according to established procedures.
- Provides estimation of time for completion of each repair order.
- Maintains systems for tracking time spent on a job.
- Provides technical information and assistance to employees as needed.
- Utilizes quality control procedures to monitor quality of work.
- Maintains active professional affiliations and certifications and keeps up to date on industry trends.
- Meets with customers as required to verify customers concerns.
- Ensures high quality service and repairs are provided to every customer and maintains a clean and professional shop environment.
- Solicits, encourages, and implements innovative methods/ideas to improve service and performance.
- Builds a winning team by recruiting, hiring, training, coaching, evaluating, motivating, and rewarding employees.
- Attends factory training as necessary to maintain certifications.
- Establishes and maintains positive management/employee working relationships.
- Monitors and evaluates employee performance of Technicians daily, providing ongoing feedback, disciplinary actions, training, and career guidance as necessary.
- Maintains an awareness of and ensures employees comply with safety regulations, hazardous waste disposal, OSHA, and right-to-know policies and procedures.
- Monitors repair orders trends.
- Keeps up to date on industry specific information.
- Follows dealership policies.
- Maintains high ethical standards in daily activities.
- Other tasks as necessary to maintain an effective service department.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent plus a minimum of 3 years of experience in an automotive service environment required or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- ASE certification preferred.
- Previous dealership recommended. European car experience preferred.
- Must have a current driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service and to respond with flexibility to urgent, unexpected requests is required.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and work in a team.
- Must have experience using basic computer systems and ability to learn and use Company specific software programs.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Effectively communicate information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers and other employees of the organization.
- Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient manner.
- Good follow through ability; adheres to work schedule and follows through on challenges as they arise.
The physical effort typically applied in this job includes lifting (0-5 pounds more than 70% of the time and 5-60 pounds 15-40% of the time), carrying, pulling, pushing, reaching, manipulating and keying/typing while sitting, standing, walking, stooping and bending
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: German Import Certified Technician: 5 years (Required)
Additional Compensation: Store Discounts, Birthday off
Work Location: One location
Benefits: Health insurance, Dental insurance, Retirement plan, Paid time off
This Job Is: A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
Schedule: 5-day work week – Saturday rotation each month with Monday off.